Welcome!!!

This blog is a collection of memoirs of one mom's journey through the foster care system into adoption and beyond.

Thanks for checking out this site. I encourage you to become a "follower" or "subscribe" to this blog down at the right hand side of the main page, or "subscribe by email" at the very bottom. Please comment and join in the discussion often.

The goals of this site are:
- To promote awareness
- To offer encouragement
- To keep prayer warriors updated
- To support one another
- To discuss and vent =D

If you choose to comment (and I hope you do), please refrain from mentioning the actual names of the children if you know us personally. Enjoy Fosteradoptmommy!!!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Memoir #24 "what can I do?"

Good Morning!

So I got to thinking, if I blogged about every injustice that I come across in the Child Welfare System (CWS) during this journey I would be blogging daily for one thing and it would just be really discouraging.

I have decided to put my focus toward what I can do to help and how we can begin to change the system one child, case, or state at at time.

Soon I will be starting an organization and I have no idea what it will be or what it will really entail but it will be something that works to fight these injustices so stay tuned =D

In the meantime, I think a lot of people want to help orphan children but they know they personally cannot adopt or foster right now so what are some ways to help out?  Here are just a few:

  1. Pray - Pray for all these children, domestically and globally.  Pray for their strength and for their protection.  Pray for their broken hearts and for their salvation.  Also, pray for all those who God has called to foster and to adopt and to care for refugees.  Pray for their endurance and their strength.  Pray for their peace and for their smooth adjustment to the change in their lives.
  2. Respite - Give those who have embarked on this journey a chance to rest and rejuvinate.  It's basically babysitting or making a meal for these families.  Taking on a new child is so rewarding but it is a period of stress and business for that family.  Also, many families take children who are difficult to love and care for and need special help.  These families become very weary and could use a little respite to relax and get their minds and hearts back to the place they need to be to do God's work.
  3. Mentor - There are so many children who would love to go to a baseball game or have a lasting relationship with an adult that cares.  It's kind of like Big Brother/Sisters. 
  4. Advocate - This is the hardest part but I will be organzing some ways to do this soon so keep following and I can give you more information in the days to come.  This includes writing and speaking with your congress people, your governor, your mayor.  This includes fundraisers and campaigns.
There are many more, these are just a few but if you would be interested in taking an active role in Orphan Advocacy (in any of the above areas) I can help you to begin.  I hope that you have a blessed week!

Psalm 10:18
You will bring justice to the orphans and the oppressed, so mere people can no longer terrify them.

No comments:

Post a Comment