Welcome!!!

This blog is a collection of memoirs of one mom's journey through the foster care system into adoption and beyond.

Thanks for checking out this site. I encourage you to become a "follower" or "subscribe" to this blog down at the right hand side of the main page, or "subscribe by email" at the very bottom. Please comment and join in the discussion often.

The goals of this site are:
- To promote awareness
- To offer encouragement
- To keep prayer warriors updated
- To support one another
- To discuss and vent =D

If you choose to comment (and I hope you do), please refrain from mentioning the actual names of the children if you know us personally. Enjoy Fosteradoptmommy!!!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Memoir #22 "Dancing in the minefields - a day of reflection"

For some of you the title sounds familiar and that is because I snagged this line from a song that I just adore by Andrew Peterson. He talks about a young couple that fell in love, jumped into a difficult journey together, and it is their dream come true because God holds them steady throughout. 
This is the chorus:

We went dancing in the minefields
We went sailing in the storm
And it was harder than we dreamed
But I believe that's what the promise is for
 
Check it out on Youtube - You Tube Dancing in the Minefields
 
So, yesterday marks the one year anniversary of beginning our journey into foster care and when I look back I feel like this was me -->


I really think I jumped off the cliff with both feet...never looking back.  Man, I didn't think I had it in me!  And on those tough days when I just cried and cried I didn't know if I had made the right choice. 

Standing here on the other side one year later I am just amazed at the power of God and how he blesses you ten fold and changes you when you really trust in him.

I am a new person now, one who is completely different than I was 1 year ago.  I will admit that before I was a success-seeker, I was very materialistic, and I was so proud of all that I had accomplished.

Now, my husband and I go to bed dreaming of a family of 13 living in a huge safe house for all of them.  We want to help lots of kids who are all different colors.  We want to ask them about their day everyday.  We want them to meet Jesus. We dream about changing the entire child welfare system in this country and making it better.  You may be saying "yeah right" but this is all the absolute truth.

On February 25, 2010 I turned 28 years old and I was about to have a Hummer, a gigantic engagement ring, the wedding of a lifetime and a trip to Miami to celebrate all that I had done over the last 8 years.  Afterall, only 3% of Americans go to med/law school and I deserve it.  It's funny when I look back but on the car ride home from the first court hearing on March 4th, 2010 I was crying because of all of the above that I realized I had just given-up not really wanting to.   And 3 months later, I would still be crying about it sometimes.  Now I look back and I think man, I was such a selfish idiot!!!  =D

The journey is definitely not easy but doing God's work seldom is easy, in fact, I have found it is just the opposite.  It is uncomfortable, it is stressful, and it is dirty.  It requires you to sacrifice your human wants and desires and it requires physical and emotional demands that will leave you weary.  The beautiful part of this is that when it comes to your soul, the yoke is easy and the burden is light!  My soul has never been in a better place than it is today.  I can say Lord, come now, come quickly because I am ready!

Today and tomorrow we reflect on the greatest sacrifice that was ever made and that was of Jesus Christ who suffered and died for us selflessly. May the God who is able to do more than we could ever imagine bless you today!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment