Welcome!!!

This blog is a collection of memoirs of one mom's journey through the foster care system into adoption and beyond.

Thanks for checking out this site. I encourage you to become a "follower" or "subscribe" to this blog down at the right hand side of the main page, or "subscribe by email" at the very bottom. Please comment and join in the discussion often.

The goals of this site are:
- To promote awareness
- To offer encouragement
- To keep prayer warriors updated
- To support one another
- To discuss and vent =D

If you choose to comment (and I hope you do), please refrain from mentioning the actual names of the children if you know us personally. Enjoy Fosteradoptmommy!!!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Memoir #21 "I definitely married the right guy"

I am involved in a pro bono thing where I help teenage kids in foster care with some legal stuff and yesterday I got to meet my first one.  Well, did you hear about the woman who works at the pound...she has 8 dogs!

As I'm driving home talking to my husband on the phone and telling him about how great these teens are and the program he actually says "we need a bigger house"...Are we going to adopt a 16 year old with dreams of entering the marines and just having someone to write letters to that cares about him???  Too early to tell but what I do know is that we definitely do need a bigger house!!!!!!!!!!!!

This experience has got me thinking though about an entirely different demographic than I have ever thought of before.  Our Foster care Licensor has in our file that we prefer to foster children ages 18 months to 7 years.  A lot of this is because our almost-adopted daughter is 3 and I think it just makes sense to have kids near the same age in a home practically speaking. 

The other thing is we are 28 & 30 years old.  I feel like I am just too young to be a parent to a teenager but then again, there are thousands of moms who are 28 and have 13-14 year old children.  Plus, we lead a youth group program for our church for the past 2 years and when we take the teens on a retreat for example, I've found that my "parenting" just naturally adapted to their age.  And the funny thing is, they really are still kids, just bigger ones =)

That's the tough part about the kids I see in the program I'm involved in and the overwhelming number of teenages in foster care.  A lot of them live in residential facilities and group homes and are basically learning to be somewhat self-sufficient so when they "age-out" of the system they can survive out there.

A smart young man told me that he just wants to have someone to ask him about his day, someone to make him supper, and a somewhere to go home to for Christmas.

Let's not forget the older  kids that have less and less hope of ever being adopted.  Maybe God is calling you to help a kid join ROTC or another branch of the military...maybe God is calling you to help a kid get into college...maybe God is calling you to add one more picture to your wallet and one more place setting to your dinner table =D

Then the Lord God called to the man...where are you??? Genesis 3:9

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment