Welcome!!!

This blog is a collection of memoirs of one mom's journey through the foster care system into adoption and beyond.

Thanks for checking out this site. I encourage you to become a "follower" or "subscribe" to this blog down at the right hand side of the main page, or "subscribe by email" at the very bottom. Please comment and join in the discussion often.

The goals of this site are:
- To promote awareness
- To offer encouragement
- To keep prayer warriors updated
- To support one another
- To discuss and vent =D

If you choose to comment (and I hope you do), please refrain from mentioning the actual names of the children if you know us personally. Enjoy Fosteradoptmommy!!!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Memoir #54 Respite and Those that Inspire us

Last weekend we enjoyed what us foster folks call “respite” which is a time period where the foster children stay with another foster family either for the day or overnight etc.

What does the word respite mean anyway?  What comes to my mind is rest, peacefulness, a break, and thank the Lord!
The dictionary says it means a temporary relief, especially from anything distressing or trying and I say that definition couldn’t be more fitting.

One of the Judges that I work with said this to me the other day, “Rachel, I’m proud of you for taking care of other people’s kids…its hard enough just taking care of your own.”
And that is precisely why respite is such a necessary thing for foster parents.  Your life changes when you bring another person or people into your home and that expansion includes more responsibility, less you time, and a lot more stress. 

Every so often we all could use a little respite in life couldn’t we?  And boy do foster families ever!  Even parenting your own kids drives you nuts sometimes (many times) and that is why “grandparent respite” also comes in handy =)
So over the last 2 and ½ years I have been so blessed to meet some of the most wonderful people on this planet after starting this journey and they are foster parents.  I am NOT referring to myself at all…I mean the ones I have met just seem so unbelievable and legendary.  They are true servants of God on the front lines doing the dirty work that is so freaking hard to do! 

When they speak about their lives and how they’ve somehow managed to incorporate a couple of foster children into them…it just blows my mind.
I had the privilege of meeting a foster mom the other day "L" and just speaking with her nearly had me in tears.  It gives me shivers just thinking about her story and her life and the sacrifice she had made for so many years…Why do this?  How does she do this?  She is AMAZING!!! 

"L" I hope that you know that you are changing the world and that you inspire me...
So back to respite, when I was on my way to bring the boys James says, “I am the most luckiest kid in the world.”  And I ask why?  He says, “because I get to live with other people and visit and stay with other people and play with lots of new kids and nobody else gets to”. 

It’s all about how you look at thing isn’t it?  =)
Isaiah 14:3-5
In that wonderful day when the Lord gives his people rest from trouble and fear, from slavery and chains, you will taunt your enemy.
You will say: how the oppressor has come to an end! How his fury has ended!
For the Lord has crushed your wicked power
and broken your evil rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment